Lying together,
limbs splayed haphazardly about
so that one is indistinguishable from the next
our bodies make a pact
and we exchange pieces of our hearts
so that when I get up to leave
I will carry a piece of you
deep inside of me,
an imprint upon the flesh
deep down when only I can sense it.
Lying here,
my breath falling into a syncopated rhythm
with your own,
and too-still limbs equating themselves as one,
the secret of our bodies lies
quiet just beneath the skin
and I know that I will leave
and things will change,
my arms and legs subtracting themselves from
the living whole,
and one day,
someday,
I will break down as all physical systems eventually decompose,
but this piece of you will remain
an impenetrable fortress of its own;
a constant reminder of
tangled hair and clenched fists
and just how far a body will go to find
belonging.
No comments:
Post a Comment